The library service holds microfiche copies of registers at the Community History Centre at Wellington Library covering christenings, marriages and burials.
The Shropshire Collection is now available on Find My Past covering baptisms, banns, marriages and burials up to 1900. This is available with free library membership on all library computers.
The International Genealogical Index (IGI) acts as an index to the baptism and marriage registers of many parishes in the UK. The IGI does not cover burial registers. Most of the names indexed come from records dating from the early 1500s to 1875. The entries always need corroborating for accuracy.
Where you can find the IGI?
- Shropshire index at the Community History Centre and Newport Library
- Staffordshire index at Newport Library
- Shropshire and surrounding counties at Shropshire Archives
- Worldwide indexes at the Genealogical Society of Utah branch library at Newcastle-Under-Lyme
- Local search centre at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Wellington
- The IGI is also available online
- Some parish registers have been printed. You can locate them through the library online catalogue
- Also Shropshire Family History Society has transcribed and published copies of registers on fiche or as photocopies