How can you prevent me from becoming homeless?
If you ask us for advice because you are homeless or likely to become homeless, we will ask you for information about your current situation and why you will be homeless.
Following guidance from the Government, we have introduced a range of homeless prevention initiatives and we will look at each of these to find the most suitable solution for you, as each person's circumstances will be different.
Some examples of the prevention initiatives we have
- If your landlord is evicting you, we will try to reach an arrangement with your landlord. This may result in them allowing you to remain in your home, either permanently or until we are able to help you find an alternative permanent home.
- If you have found a private property to rent but cannot afford to pay the deposit, we may be able to assist you with finding this money.
- If you are currently renting a property but cannot afford all of the rent, we may be able to help you complete an application for money towards your rent for a short period of time.
- If you are a young person and your parents are asking you to leave their home, we can provide someone to have a chat with your parents to see if you can remain at your parents' home until you find a home of your own. (This kind of help is called a 'mediation service').
- If you are a victim of domestic violence and would like to remain in your own home, we may be able to help you to secure your home so you feel safe staying there.
These are just some examples of the ways we may be able to prevent you from becoming homeless, but we can look at any solution that may help you.
Last updated 16/06/2010
How do you rate this page?
Housing Needs team
Address: Telford & Wrekin Council
Tel: 01952 381925