All local authorities have a duty to improve the health of the population they serve. To help with this we use data and information from a range of sources, including hospital data and data collected at the registration of a birth or death, to understand more about the nature and causes of disease and ill-health in the area.
Priorities for health and wellbeing in Telford and Wrekin:
- encourage healthier lifestyles
- improve mental wellbeing and mental health
- strengthen our communities and community based support.
Below are a number of documents that provide more detail on the health and wellbeing of Telford and Wrekin’s population.
The Telford and Wrekin Health and wellbeing key facts sheet provides a summary of health and wellbeing information for the borough.
The Public Health Outcomes Framework summary for Telford and Wrekin contains a range of indicators across 5 domains:
- overarching indicators – find out about differences in life expectancy and healthy life expectancy between communities
- wider determinants of health – indicators for tracking the progress in wider factors affecting health and wellbeing
- health improvements - indicators for tracking progress in helping people to live healthy lifestyles and make healthy choices
- health protection – indicators for tracking progress in protecting the population’s health from major incidents and other threats
- healthcare and preventing premature mortality – indicators for tracking progress in reducing numbers of people living with preventable ill health and people dying prematurely.
In addition to the Public Health Outcomes Framework there are a large number of profiles on various health and wellbeing related topics that are produced by Public Health England. Some of the key profiles are highlighted below:
- local authority health profiles - developed by Public Health England to present data at 'small area' level (Local authority and ward available). Data is available under four categories, our community, Children's and Adult's health and lifestyle, Disease and poor health, and life expectancy and causes of death.
- public health dashboard - Presenting data across a range of key indicators that can be compared against similar authorities, deprivation group or all local authorities.
- local tobacco control profile - a snapshot of the extent of tobacco use, tobacco related harm and measures being taken to reduce this at a local level (local authority).
- local alcohol profiles for England - Providing a snapshot and trends across topics including teenage pregnancy, abortions, contraception, HIV, sexually transmitted infections and sexual offences.
- sexual and reproductive health profiles - provide a snapshot and trends across topics including teenage pregnancy, abortion, contraception, HIV, sexual transmitted infections and sexual offences.
- child and maternal health - a range of data, information, reports, tools and resources on child and maternal health.
- National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP) and child obesity profile - The National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP) measure the height and weight of over one-million children aged 4-5 and 10-11 years each year in primary schools in England. This profile provides information which helps increase understanding of the patterns and trends in underweight, healthy weight, overweight, and obesity among the child population.
The Pharmacy Needs Assessment (PNA) is an up-to-date statement of the needs for local pharmaceutical services in the borough. For more information, please see the 2018/19 - 2020/21 PNA for Telford and Wrekin.
NHS Digital publish a range of Adult Social Care publications, including the Adult Social Care Outcomes Framework (ASCOF). Information submitted by Local Authorities across England can be accessed via the Adult Social Care Analytical Hub, including Telford and Wrekin's submissions.