All local authorities have a duty to improve the health of the population they serve. To help with this we use data and information from a range of sources, including hospital data and data collected at the registration of a birth or death, to understand more about the nature and causes of disease and ill-health in the area.
Priorities for health and wellbeing in Telford & Wrekin -
- Encourage healthier lifestyles
- Improve mental wellbeing and mental health
- Strengthen our communities and community based support
Below are a number of documents that provide more detail on the health and wellbeing of Telford & Wrekin’s population.
The Telford and Wrekin Health & Wellbeing Key Facts sheet provides a summary of health and wellbeing information for the borough.
The Public Health Outcomes Framework summary for Telford & Wrekin contains a range of indicators across 5 domains
- Overarching indicators – find out about differences in life expectancy and healthy life expectancy between communities
- Wider determinants of health – indicators for tracking the progress in wider factors affecting health and wellbeing
- Health improvements - indicators for tracking progress in helping people to live healthy lifestyles and make healthy choices
- Health protection – indicators for tracking progress in protecting the population’s health from major incidents and other threats
- Healthcare and preventing premature mortality – indicators for tracking progress in reducing numbers of people living with preventable ill health and people dying prematurely.
The Maternal and infant health report provides a snapshot of key maternal and infant population health measures across Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire.
There are a large number of profiles on various health and wellbeing related topics that are produced by Public Health England, view the full list. Some of the key profiles are highlighted below.
- Local Health Profiles – Developed by Public Health England to present data at ‘small area’ level (Local authority and ward available). Data is available under four categories, our community, Children’s and Adult’s health and lifestyle, Disease and poor health, and life expectancy and causes of death.
- Local tobacco control profiles – A snapshot of the extent of tobacco use, tobacco related harm and measures being taken to reduce this at a local level (local authority).
- Local alcohol profiles – Providing information to monitor the impact of alcohol on local communities and monitor the services and initiatives put in place to prevent and reduce harm.
- Sexual and reproductive health profiles – provide a snapshot and trends across topics including teenage pregnancy, abortions, contraception, HIV, sexually transmitted infections and sexual offences.