We produce a quarterly economic profile containing detailed information about the economy and jobs in Telford and Wrekin. If you need more information about the borough's economy or want to contact someone about business support, please visit the business section of our website.
- The borough has a diverse manufacturing sector, a burgeoning tourism sector and research and development facilities.
- The biggest contributors to the Borough’s economy are: distribution, transport, accommodation and food; manufacturing and public administration and education and health.
Employment by Occupation (October 2017 - September 2018)
- The three largest occupational groups were: professional occupations (15.2%),
elementary occupations (13.1%) and Process, Plant and Machine
Employee Jobs (2017)
- There were 85,950 employee jobs (the number of jobs held by an employee) in the Borough in 2017, down 0.3% from a year ago.
- The manufacturing sector (16.3%) accounted for the largest proportion of all employee jobs in the Borough (West Midlands 11.3% and England 7.9%), followed by the business administration and support services at 12.8% (West Midlands 8.4% and England 9.1%).
Earnings by place of workplace (2018)
The median gross weekly earnings for full-time workers in Telford and Wrekin were £522.30 in 2018 (West Midlands £536.60 and England £574.90).
- There were 6,155 local 'units' in VAT and/or PAYE based enterprises in the Borough in 2018.
- There were 635 Business 'births' and 570 business deaths in 2018.
Qualifications (Jan 2017-Dec 2017)
- 29.5% of the Borough working age residents were qualified to NVQ4 and above in the year ending December 2017 (West Midlands 31.8% and England 38.3%).
- 8.0% of the working age residents had no qualifications (West Midlands 10.4% and England 7.6%).
Unemployment (October 2017 - September 2018) and Claimant count (December 2018)
- The Borough’s modelled rate of unemployment was 4.2% in the 12 months to September 2018, down from 4.6% a year ago (West Midlands 4.5% and England 4.2%).
- The youth unemployment rate was 18.0% (West Midlands 13.3% and England 11.9%).
- The Borough total claimant count was 1,840 in December 2018, down from 1,885 in November 2018.
- Young people (aged 16-24) represented 23.4% of all claimants in December 2018.
Please see our quarterly economic profile for further information.