If you want to check if you are likely to get Planning Permission before you formally submit your application to us, you can apply for pre-application advice.
Pre-application advice can help speed up the planning process as any potential problems can be highlighted before you submit an application. The benefit of pre-application advice allows you to:
- understand how policies and guidance will be applied to development that is specific to your proposal;
- understand what is required to support the application, identifying specialist input at an early stage;
- potentially reduce the time it takes to determine an application;
- indicate proposals which are unacceptable, saving time and money in pursuing a formal application.
From May 2017, the Council has revised the way that pre-application advice is given, introducing pre-application workshops to smaller schemes, and engaging with the community through both Town and Parish Councils and Councillors. The revisions also introduce a charge to help recover some of the costs for providing this discretionary service.
The Council offers four types of pre-application advice:
- Verbal advice - providing free planning advice on principles of development, made available through an appointment basis at our Wellington Offices.
- Permitted development confirmation - providing written confirmation whether planning permission is or is not required for any development.
- Pre-application written advice - consulting internal technical specialists, Parish/Town Councils and Councillors, providing a detailed written response to the proposed development, and the requirements for any application.
- Pre-application workshops - providing a workshop that includes the technical specialists, to engage with the development, highlighting issues and identifying solutions. This is followed by a detailed written response to the proposed development, and the requirements for any application. This is made available to all scales of development.