All aspects of daily life involve travel, and there are many modes and challenges for this. Over reliance on certain modes of transport can be harmful to the environment. Planning for travel is important to improve people's accessibility and protect the environment.
The third Local Transport Plan 2011-2026 (LTP3) for the Borough was adopted in April 2011 and sets out our six goals:
- Making travel more reliable and efficient, to attract jobs and support growth and regeneration;
- Maintain highways effectively and efficiently;
- Reduce carbon emissions to help tackle climate change;
- Allow everyone to access jobs, education, healthcare, shops and leisure;
- Improve safety and security on the transport network and promote active travel choices which encourage people to be healthier;
- Improve the quality of life by reducing the visual, noise, air quality and other impacts of transport on people and the local environment.