Taxis (Hackney Carriages), and Private Hire Vehicles together with their drivers and Private Hire Operators are licensed by local authorities.
Licensing provides a visible assurance to the public that the vehicle has been checked for safety and that the driver has been checked medically, and is a fit and proper person to hold a licence. Drivers take a street knowledge test, a medical and have a criminal record check undertaken on them before their licence is issued.
The Licensing Service issues driver, vehicle and operator licences. Licences are issued in the interests of public safety, however we are also concerned with the provision of an excellent customer service to licence holders and service users.
For further information and to apply for a licence please use the following links:
- What is the difference between Taxi (Hackney Carriage) and Private Hire Vehicles?
- What to look for from your driver
- Public safety
- Dual Driver information and application
- Apply to renew your Dual Driver Licence
- Apply for a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicle licence
- Apply to become a Private Hire Operator
- Checks and tests
- Licence conditions