Taxi (Hackney Carriage) Vehicles
All Taxi (Hackney Carriage) Vehicles in Telford and Wrekin are purpose built and have access for at least one wheelchair. They:
- Can be hailed from the street
- Can operate from taxi ranks
- Can be pre-booked if you wish.
- Must have a meter and a fare table displayed
- Have a white plate attached to the rear of the vehicle which states the vehicle number.
- The vehicle number is also replicated on a plate inside the vehicle.
Private Hire Vehicles
Private Hire Vehicles are family sized cars and multi-purpose vehicles (MPVs). They:
- Cannot be hailed in the street
- Cannot use taxi ranks
- Must be pre-booked through a licensed operator
- Have a roof sign that can be illuminated at night
- Have a yellow plate attached to both the rear and the front of the vehicle.
- Also have the vehicle number replicated on a plate inside the vehicle
If you get into a Private Hire car without pre-booking (i.e. if you stop it or find it in the street) you may not be covered by insurance.
Private Hire drivers are breaking the law to allow you into an unbooked vehicle.