In an emergency you may be asked to evacuate your home or business; do not panic and remain calm. Follow police instructions as to where to go, and you will be transported to a place of safety and from here you can arrange to stay with friends or relatives. If you have nowhere to go, you will be transported to a designated premise for those evacuated (a Rest Centre).
Below is a checklist of what you may require at the time of evacuation:
- if safe to do so, turn off the gas, water and electricity in your property
- gather family and pets
- pick up your family 'grab bag'
- dress in warm / appropriate clothing
- gather sleeping bags and blankets if you have them
- gather any medication you or your family require
- gather baby food / pet food if required
- secure and lock your property
- if safe to do so, check your neighbours are aware of the evacuation.