It is a sad fact that domestic abuse can increase or begin during pregnancy.
The abuser may prevent mum-to-be from attending ante-natal care and medical appointments.
What are the physical affects of abuse during pregnancy?
- Still birth
- Bleeding from the birth canal and vagina
- Waters may be broken prematurely
- Foetal bruising and fractures
- Premature labour
- Insufficient weight gain and low birth weights
- Vaginal, cervical and kidney infections
Mum-to-be may turn to alcohol or drugs as a way of coping which will have a bad effect on the unborn child.