Anyone wishing to keep a dangerous wild animal will require a licence from the Licensing Service
Animals which are classified as "dangerous wild animals" are set out in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (modification) order 2007 No 1437, which came into force on 1st Oct 2007.
This list of species consists mainly of animals not native to the UK. However, it cannot be assumed that all animals liable to cause harm appear on the list, as some do not.
The purpose of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 is to:
- prevent harm to humans from escaped animals
- provide measures of protection for the captive animals.
The application process
Upon receipt of a valid application the Licensing Authority must be satisfied that:
- granting the licence is not contrary to the public interest on the grounds of safety or nuisance
- the applicant is a suitable person to hold the licence
- the animal's accommodation is escape-proof and of suitable construction, size, temperature, lighting, ventilation and drainage.
Once an application has been received, the Council will arrange for an inspection of the premises by an authorised official. The findings of this report will be considered before a licence is granted.
Once we have received your application form and licence fee, your premises will be inspected by the Council's vet to check compliance with the council's licence conditions. The licence fee is £395 plus vet's fee for a new application and £360 plus vet's fee for a renewal application.
The application will require you to specify:
- the species of animal
- the number of animals of each species to be kept
- the premises where animals will normally be held (this must be within the Telford & Wrekin area).
Licences will come into force immediately once granted and are renewable after two years.
Death of the licence holder
In the event of the death of a licence holder the licence will continue in the name of the person acting as their representative for 28 days only. After this time the licence will expire unless a new application has been made and determined within that time.