- Almost three quarters of people have been targeted by scammers in the last 2 years either via mail, phone calls, text messages, emails, online and face to face.
- Over a third of people have been targeted 5 times or more.
- It is estimated that £10.9 billion is lost to scams and fraud every year.
Don’t be the next statistic, be a step ahead of the scammers and be #scamaware.
Click on the following images for top tips on how to beat the scammers.
You can also avoid being the victim of scam by using a business you know you can trust. Take a look at our Trading Standards Accredited (TSA) website where you will find details of local businesses who are signed up to the scheme. All businesses are checked by Trading Standards and must have relevant insurances, they also sign up to the TSA Code of Practice. In the unlikely event of a problem, the TSA team will work with the customer and member to agree a resolution.
The website is easy to use, search for a member by business category or there’s a handy A-Z. Simply enter your postcode, choose a trade area and your search results will be listed based on members nearest you. If you do not have access to the internet please telephone our contact centre on 01952 381818 and we will carry out the search for you. You don’t have to be a Telford and Wrekin resident, everyone is welcome to use the TSA scheme.
Reduce the number of unwanted callers knocking at your door by displaying a copy of our no cold calling sign. Download and print off a copy at home and display it where someone intending to knock at your door would easily spot it. Alternatively, pick up a ‘self sticking’ copy from the following locations:
- Southwater One
- Darby House
- Citizens Advice, Wellington
- Brookside, Woodside and Sutton Hill Community Centres
- Newport Library.
To learn more about scams and to help raise awareness, we invite you to take a stand against scams and check out the National Trading Standards Scams Team 'Friends Against Scams' campaign.
Other useful links to help you beat the scammers:
- Citizens Advice - spotting scams and how to report them
- Action Fraud - current scams/frauds and how to report them
- Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) - guidance on financial related scams and how to be a ScamSmart investor
- The Pensions Regulator - pension related scams and how to avoid them
- Get Safe Online - wide ranging advice to stay safe online
- Think Jessica - campaign to raise awareness of scam mail.
Register to reduce the amount of unwanted and unsolicited marketing you receive: