Laws surrounding fly posting
The following Acts include the most important information about fly posting.
Not all are available electronically so more information is available below.
- Highways Act 1980
- Town and Country Planning Act 1990
- The Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations (England) 2007 (pdf)
- Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003 - Pt 6 & Pt 9
- The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
- Local Government Act 1972 Section 222
- Signs: A Guide For Advertisers
Section 137 of the Highways Act 1980 makes it an offence for a person to wilfully obstruct a highway.
If a person is convicted, magistrates can order them to remove the offending article. Anyone who fails to comply with the order is liable to a fine of up to £5,000.
Other section of the Highways Act may also be used as appropriate.
The Local Government Act gives local authorities the Power to prosecute or defend in court in the interest of the public.
Last updated 09/12/2011
How do you rate this page?
Environmental Maintenance - out of hours
Tel: 08451 559955