Council tax discounts
The council tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a property as their main home.
If only one adult, over the age of 18, lives in the property as their main home then they may be entitled to a 25% Single Person discount.
Certain people are not counted as being resident if they meet specific conditions.
- persons for whom child benefit is payable
- school and college leavers, under 20 years old
- youth training trainees
- students, student nurses and foreign language students
- patients permanently resident in homes or hospitals
- certain carers
- severely mentally impaired persons
- residents of hostels
- persons in detention
- members of visiting forces, or of international headquarters
- members of religious communities
- persons with diplomatic privileges and immunities
If you feel any of the above may apply to your household, you can apply for a discount using the online form or contact the Council Tax team.
If you fail to notify the Council promptly of any information which may affect your entitlement to a discount, exemption or Council Tax Support; without good reason; it may result in a £70 penalty being added to your Council Tax bill.
Other penalties / sanctions may also be imposed in relation to Council Tax Support fraud.
Last updated 27/11/2013
How do you rate this page?
Council tax enquiries
Address: Telford & Wrekin Council
Tel: 01952 383838
Fax: 01952 383993