In October 2019, Telford & Wrekin Council applied to the Department for Transport’s Local Highways Maintenance Challenge Fund to improve the A442 and A4169 between Castlefields Roundabout and Hollinswood Interchange. Funding from Department for Transport (DfT) was secured in 2020. It is part matched by Telford & Wrekin Council from its “Pride in Our Community” programme.
Known as the “Eastern Primary Major Investment Programme”, the work is focussed on a section of the A442 between Hollinswood Interchange and Brockton Way with particular emphasis on bridges, barriers, drainage and the condition of the road itself and its slip roads.
This is a four-phase £10million project, the first two phases of which have been completed. These initial phases involved the resurfacing of Brockton Way and its slip roads, the A4169, the A442 Southbound resurfacing between Randlay and Stirchley roundabouts, improvements to the Naird lane bridge, resurfacing of Hollinswood Northbound exit slip road, resurfacing of Randlay Northbound Offslip and extensive structural patching on the A442 between Trench Lock interchange and Wombridge interchange Southbound, and around Randlay interchange Northbound.
The next phase, starting from July 2021, will see improvements and upgrades to barriers on verges and the central reservation between Hollinswood and Castlefield roundabout sections and much needed structural repairs to the Hollinswood, Stirchley and Randlay Interchange bridges. The programme of works currently planned includes:
- barrier upgrades on Northbound and Southbound verges – Summer / Autumn 2021
- Hollinswood Interchange and Stirchley Interchange bridge structures concrete repairs – Autumn / Winter 2021 - 2022
- barrier upgrade including central reservation hardening (where required) between Hollinswood Interchange and Castlefields roundabout – Autumn 2021 – Summer 2022
- Randlay Interchange bridge structure concrete repairs – Spring / Summer 2022.
The work will involve lane closures and occasional road closures.
Following on from the extensive programme of works replacing the central reservation with hardstanding and vehicle restraint system replacements along the A442 between Hollinswood Interchange and A4169 Castlefields Roundabout, we are now scheduling a large-scale carriageway resurfacing scheme consisting of over 7,000 tons of carriageway surfacing, 13,000m of white lining and 1,200 road studs. The works have been carefully planned to be undertaken during the final stages of the ongoing works, and to coincide with the summer holiday period to minimise overall disruption on the network. The resurfacing will ensure that this section of carriageway is fully upgraded in order to greatly reduce future maintenance needs and therefore reducing the need for further disruption on the network.
Works are planned for a 6 week period under 24 hour phased closures with diversion routes in place. The works will affect the North bound carriageway between Brockton Interchange and Hollinswood Interchange, and South bound between Stirchley Interchange and Brockton Interchange. Phased closures are as listed below.
- Randlay to Hollinswood Northbound - 22 July 2022 to 30 July 2022.
- Stirchley to Randlay Northbound - 31 July 2022 to 7 August 2022.
- Brockton Loops to Stirchley Northbound - 8 August 2022 to 13 August 2022.
- Stirchley to Brockton Southbound – 14 August 2022 to 21 August 2022.
- Hollinswood Interchange (Partial Resurfacing and Bridge Joints) – 17 August 2022 to 30 August 2022.
- Randlay Interchange (Patching and Bridge Joints only) – 29 August 2022 to 3 September 2022.
View latest updates and information on traffic management
For more information about the planned resurfacing scheme view the resurfacing schemes webpage.
View information about Dual Carriage Maintenance works commencing from 14 June 2021
Last updated: 08/08/2022 15:09