Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Energy Bills Support Schemes

A new Government scheme called ‘Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding’ is being made available week commencing Monday 27 February 2023 to support households which have not previously benefited from government energy support schemes. 

The following groups will be eligible:

  • those who live in care homes
  • those who have a permanent residence in a park home
  • some tenants who are supplied via their landlord with a commercial meter
  • off grid households
  • households in temporary / supported accommodation.

Payments of £400 will be made to eligible households that do not have a contract with a domestic electricity supplier.

The scheme will close for new applications on the 31 May 2023.

Who should apply

You can apply if:

  • you pay for the energy your household uses
  • you’re applying for your main, permanent home
  • you have a fixed address in England, Scotland or Wales.

Who cannot apply

Most households get the £400 support automatically (via your energy supply over 6 months of either £66 or £67 per month).

You do not need to apply if you or your landlord:

  • pay your bills directly to an energy supplier (such as British Gas or EDF)
  • your property is classed as a second or holiday homes. The dwelling must be the sole or main residential address of the applicant.
  • households without a fixed address, for example house boats without a permanent mooring
  • students living in purpose-built student accommodation (PBSA).

Applications are to be made directly through the gov.uk website and not via Telford & Wrekin Council.

Please do not contact us about the scheme, as we will be unable to answer your questions. Instead, there is a dedicated GOV.UK call centre for any enquiries or those who require assistance to make an application. This will be live from 27 February 2023 on 0808 175 3287 and will be available Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

If you are eligible for the payment, your payment details will be shared with Telford & Wrekin Council to confirm your home address and make the payment.

How to apply

The scheme closed for new applications on the 31 May 2023.

You will need:

  • your bank account details (a UK current account in your name)
  • an email address and phone number (if you have one).

If you’re not registered for Council Tax

You’ll need to upload proof of address (such as a bank statement or tenancy agreement) as part of your application.

If you live in a care home

You’ll also need to upload either:

  • an invoice for your care home fees from the past 3 months
  • an official document from the care home including your name and address, a funding statement and the name and address of the care home.

Once you have submitted your application you should expect to receive a response within 4 weeks.

Last updated: 02/06/2023 09:31

  1. EBSS Alternative Funding (AF)
  2. Alternative Fuel Payment Scheme (AFP)