We produce a quarterly economic profile containing detailed information about the economy and jobs in Telford and Wrekin. If you need more information about the borough's economy or want to contact someone about business support, please visit the business section of our website.
- The borough has a diverse manufacturing sector, a burgeoning tourism sector and research and development facilities.
- The biggest contributors to the Borough’s economy are: distribution, transport, accommodation and food; manufacturing and public administration and education and health.
Unemployment (July 2019 to June 2020)
- The borough’s modelled rate of unemployment was 6.5% in the period of July 2019 to June 2020. (West Midlands 4.8% and England 4.0%, The Marches LEP 4.0%).
- Around 2,500 young people (aged 16-24) in Telford and Wrekin were unemployed in the period, a rate of 23.5%. (West Midlands 13.8%, England 12.0%, The Marches LEP 11.2%).
- Around 2,600 people aged 25-49 in Telford and Wrekin were unemployed in the period, a rate of 5.2%. (West Midlands 3.9%, England 3.0%, The Marches LEP 3.8%).
- Around 600 people aged 50+ in Telford and Wrekin were unemployed in the period, a rate of 2.0%. (West Midlands 2.4%, England 2.5%, The Marches LEP 1.8%).
Claimant count (September 2020)
- There were 6,925 people aged 16+ in Telford and Wrekin claiming unemployment related benefits in October 2020, a reduction of -190 people from the month before. This is a fall of -2.7% (West Midlands -0.6%, England -1.5%, The Marches LEP -3.4%).
- The rate, 6.2% is below regional and national (West Midlands 7.3%, England 6.3%).
- There were 1,615 young people aged 16-24 in Telford and Wrekin claiming unemployment related benefits in October 2020, 5 less than the month before, equivalent to -0.3% from the month before (West Midlands +0.5%, England +0.2%).
- The rate, 8.4% is above regional and national (England 7.4%, West Midlands 8.3%).
Employment by occupation (January 2019 - December 2019)
- The three largest occupational groups were: professional occupations (18%), elementary occupations (13.2%) and associate professional and technical occupations (12.3%).
Employee jobs (2018)
- There were 88,200 employee jobs (the number of jobs held by employees) in the borough in 2018, an increase of 2.6% from a year ago.
- The largest proportion of employee jobs were in manufacturing with 17.0% (West Midlands 11.6% and England 7.9%), followed by business administration and support services at 12.8% (West Midlands 8.5% and England 9.0%).
Earnings by place of work (2019)
- The median gross weekly earnings for full time workers who work in Telford and Wrekin was £563 in 2019 (West Midlands £552.50 and England £591.40).
- Gross weekly pay for the borough’s male and female full time workers both increased in 2019, bringing them broadly in line with regional rates.
- There were 6,255 local 'units' in VAT and/or PAYE based enterprises in the borough in 2019.
- There were 5,065 business 'enterprises' with a registered office in the Borough in 2019.
- There were 635 Business 'births' and 570 business 'deaths' in 2018.
Qualifications (Jan 2019 - Dec 2019)
- 31.2% of the borough's working age residents were qualified to NVQ4 and above in the year ending December 2019 (West Midlands 38.2% and England 44.5%, The Marches LEP 37.5%).
- 4.7% of the Borough's working age residents have no qualifications (West Midlands 6.7% and England 4.7%, The Marches LEP 4.3%).
Last updated: 24/11/2020 12:03