The census is a national population survey that has been carried out every 10 years by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
The census asks questions about work, health, national identity, citizenship, ethnic background, education, second homes, language, religion, marital stats and so on. These statistics are then used to build a picture of today’s society.
2011 Census results
The 2011 Census estimated the population of Telford and Wrekin to be 166,641. A wide range of statistics from the census is available in the following documents.
- Updates – short notes on particular themes covered by the census. For example population, diversity, economy.
- Telford and Wrekin Profile - More detailed analysis of data across all census topics for the area.
- Ward profiles – a detailed look at census findings for each of the Borough wards.
- Parish and Town Council Profiles are available from Office for National Statistics via NOMIS.
2001 Census results
The 2001 Census collected a variety of information about Telford and Wrekin, detailed census profiles can be viewed using the following links:
- Telford and Wrekin Borough profile
- Newport profile
- Wellington profile
- Rural profile
- Telford profile
- Ward profiles
- Parish and Town Council profiles
Last updated: 12.26pm on Monday 30 April 2018