The census is a national population survey that has been carried out every 10 years by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
The census asks questions about work, health, national identity, citizenship, ethnic background, education, second homes, language, religion, marital stats and so on. These statistics are then used to build a picture of today’s society.
2011 Census results
The 2011 Census estimated the population of Telford and Wrekin to be 166,641. A wide range of statistics from the census is available below.
Telford and Wrekin profile
The 2011 Census profile for Telford and Wrekin contains detailed local analysis across all census topics including:
- population characteristics – size, change, age and gender
- diversity – ethnicity, country of birth, language, passports, religion
- households and family characteristics – marital status, household structure, access to vehicle, deprivation
- housing – stock, type, size, occupancy, central heating, tenure
- communal establishments – number, type, population
- employment and economy – Activity, unemployment, hours worked, industry, occupation, social grade, travel to work, students, qualifications, armed forces
- health and care – general health, long term illness or disability, carers.
In May 2015 the electoral ward boundaries for Telford and Wrekin changed. For more details on current ward boundaries please visit the elections section of our website, where current maps are available. Visit the Local Government Boundary Commission website for more information on the boundary review.
The current profiles were produced in 2013 with the 2011 data, so are based on the old ward boundaries. Updated census ward profiles will be produced following the next census in 2021.
These profiles contain a summary of census topics, population characteristics, diversity, household and family characteristics, housing, employment & economy and health & care, for each of the 33 wards (pre May 2015).
Further information for ward areas is available in the ward profiles and the ward health profiles.
- Ward profiles – a detailed look at census findings for each of the Borough wards.
- Parish and Town Council Profiles are available from Office for National Statistics via NOMIS.
Last updated: 05/11/2020 09:13