The 'Understanding Telford and Wrekin' document, our main Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA) product, is designed to:
- provide an overview of the population of Telford and Wrekin
- build a picture of the social, cultural, health and economic profile of communities
- help the Council and partners identify the communities in need of support
- help the Council and partners to evaluate the appropriateness of services and activities currently offered and whether these meet the needs of communities
- help the Council and partners to set appropriate priorities and targets as part of the service and financial planning process.
The profile contains six chapters:
Chapter one: JSNA Executive Summaries
- JSNA Executive Summary.
- JSNA Headline Messages - Understanding Telford and Wrekin (by profile chapter).
- JSNA Headline Messages - Understanding Telford and Wrekin (by the three localities: Hadley Castle; Lakeside South; The Wrekin).
- JSNA Headline Messages - Understanding Telford and Wrekin (by different age groups: Children and Young. People; Working Age Adults; Older People).
- View further information in Appendix one
Chapter two: Population and Characteristics
- Population estimates and projections, including fertility and mortality rates.
- Demographic information including ethnicity, religion, sexual identity and migration.
- Cross border service users.
- Household composition including dependent children, lone parents, carers.
- View further information in Appendix two
Chapter three: Being Healthy
- General health of the population, including life expectancy, mortality, long term limiting illness, physical disability, mental health, dementia and lowliness.
- Prevalence of various health conditions.
- Hospital attendance and admissions, including by reason.
- Low birth weight, teenage pregnancy rates, smoking in pregnancy and breastfeeding rates.
- Healthy lifestyle rates including smoking, binge drinking, drug use, physical activity, excess weight and obesity.
- View further information in Appendix three
Chapter four: Staying Safe
- Rates of children presenting to Safeguarding services.
- Homelessness and households in temporary accommodation.
- Crime and anti social behaviour rates by crime type.
- View further information in Appendix four
Chapter five: Enjoying and Achieving
- Attainment rates at all key stages, absence rates and population qualifications.
- View further information in Appendix five
Chapter six: Economic Wellbeing
- Income deprivation rates, unemployment, benefit claimant rates, NEETs, fuel poverty.
- Mosaic categories of the population.
- View further information in Appendix six
All chapters and appendices in one area can be downloaded from Understanding Telford and Wrekin either as separate chapters or a whole document.
We also produce some 2-page summaries of Key Facts about the Borough.