For many years, Arriva has been the bus company that runs bus services in Telford and Wrekin. Most of the bus routes that Arriva run are well used and the fares cover the costs of operating these commercial services. In Telford and Wrekin 98% of bus routes are operated commercially by Arriva.
Telford & Wrekin Council is not in charge of bus services locally, bus services are regulated by the Office of the Transport Commissioner. However, the Council does subsidise some local bus routes. This means the Council provides money to bus operators to run bus routes that carry less people and do not make enough money to cover the costs of running the services. Historically these services have been operated by Arriva. The Council also subsidises some bus services that run through Telford and Wrekin and into neighbouring areas like Shropshire or Staffordshire.
In June 2015 the Council approved an updated Bus Subsidy Policy. Download the Bus Subsidy Policy. This policy provides a multi-criteria assessment to consider how bus routes help contribute to many of the Council's main priorities particularly around deprivation, access to local services and future housing and employment growth. The bus subsidy policy was reviewed by scrutiny committee and received cross party support prior to adoption by Cabinet.
Telford and Wrekin subsidised bus routes
Use the following links to view bus route maps and timetables:
- Download route 1 (evenings only) - Telford Town Centre, Malinslee, Dawley, Little Daley, Brookside, Sutton Hill, Madeley, Woodside, Aqueduct, Little Dawley, Dawley, Malinslee and Telford Town Centre.
- Download route 2 (evenings only) - Telford Town Centre, Malinslee, Dawley, Little Dawley, Brookside, Sutton Hill, Madeley, Woodside, Madeley, Sutton Hill, Brookside, Little Dawley, Dawley, Malinslee and Telford Town Centre.
- Download route 4 (evenings only) - Leegomery, Princess Royal Hospital, Wellington, Oakengates, Telford Town Centre, Stirchley, Woodside and Madeley.
- Download route 7a (evenings only) - Wellington, Haybridge, Hadley, Trench, Donnington, Oakengates, Telford Town Centre, Oakengates, Telford Town Centre and Overdale.
- Route 11 (evenings and sundays) - Telford and Lawley.
- Download route 14 - Telford Town Centre, Priorslee, Snedshill, Ketley Bank, Ketley Grange and Oakengates (60 minutes).
- Download route 15 - Telford Town Centre, Oakengates, Wombridge, Hadley, Hadley Park, Leegomery, Princess Royal Hospital, Shawbirch, Admaston, Dothill, Wellington and Arleston (60 minutes).
- Download route 16 - Telford Town Centre, Malinslee, Dawley Bank, Overdale, Hadley, Hadley Park, Princess Royal Hospital, Wellington, Dothill, Admaston, Shawbirch, Rodington, Roden and High Ercall (2 hours).
- Download route 19 - Telford Town Centre, Dawley Bank, Lawley and Lightmoor (60 minutes).
Alternative Transport Options
For more information on other transport solutions that the Council provides, view the pages below:
- view information about Dial a Ride
- visit the Wheel 2 Work website
- view information about Wrekin Rider.
- Who is in charge of regulating bus services?
- Why does Arriva run bus services in Telford and Wrekin?
- Why aren't there other bus operators in Telford?
- Why is the bus network in Telford so poor?
- Why aren't our local buses as fast and frequent as the ones in other areas like Birmingham and Wolverhampton?
- Does the Council set fares for buses?
- Who provides the bus shelters?
- Does the Council specify the types and sizes of buses to be used?
- Does the Council risk assess bus routes?
- Why does the Council subsidise services, why can't Arriva just run all services commercially?
- Why does the Council subsidise some services and not others?
- Which services does the Council subsidise?
- Which cross border services does the Council support?
- Which services do Arriva operate commercially?
- How does the Council decide which routes to subsidise?
- Why can't the Council support more services?
- How will the Council decide which subsidised services remain in place?
- How can commercial bus companies make changes to services without asking people for their views?