Advice for mobile food businesses

Street trading consent

All streets within Telford and Wrekin have been designated as consented streets; which means that street trading in any street is prohibited without first obtaining the consent of the Council. View more information and apply for street trading consent.

Do not buy a mobile and find a pitch later

The mobile food business is very competitive and we sometimes see situations where hopeful traders have spent lots of hard-earned cash on a good trailer and then realise that finding a site is very difficult. We strongly recommend that you look into the sites you potentially can trade from first.

Trading in another Council's area

Councils have different approaches but most councils restrict mobile trading. Some run a consent scheme, but the fees can be very high. We recommend that you contact the council who cover your proposed site and that you ensure you complete your business research before you commit to expenditure.

Food safety training

We recommend CIEH Level 2 award in food safety catering. If you would like some more food safety training we have a number food safety training courses who will be able to help you. Please be advised there are other training providers available.

What to do next

See if you can find a suitable pitch. Prepare your business plan taking as much advice as possible and make sure you consult with Planning.

Check you meet food safety requirements before you open, register your food business with the Public Protection team.

Last updated: 12/12/2018 12:05

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact