Officers may not always make an appointment for their visits, particularly if they are investigating an accident or complaint. We may make an appointment so as to ensure that they can speak to a relevant person.
Officers who look around the businesses will discuss work activities and look at the health and safety management system that the business has in place.
Officers may look at supporting paperwork which may include the following:
- Health and safety policy
- Risk assessments
- Equipment inspection records
- Accident records
- Training records.
Officers will follow up a visit with the following, depending on the seriousness of the situation:
- Informal - verbal or written advice/instruction/warning
- Improvement notice - 21 days to comply with legal requirements
- Prohibition notice - prohibition of a work activity or use of work equipment either immediately or after a specified time
- Prosecution - if there are serious failings or failure to comply with a legal notice.
Last updated: 10.23am on Tuesday 26 February 2019