The Government has introduced relief from business rates of up to £1,000 for pubs who meet certain qualifying conditions. The relief has only been made available for the 2020/21 financial years.
Certain qualifying conditions need to be met for the relief to be awarded:
- the rateable value of the premises must not be greater than £100,000
- the premises must be occupied.
In addition the premises must:
- be open to the general public
- allow free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
- allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed
- permit drinks to be purchased at a bar
European state aid limits apply so national chains will generally not benefit from this relief.
The relief will be awarded in addition to the retail discount, which smaller pubs may also be eligible for.
This £1000 relief was originally available for 2017/18 and 2018/19 financial years.
How to apply
The relief will be automatically applied to the businesses that we believe meet the above qualifying criteria. This will be shown on your bill as "Pub Relief". If you have any queries regarding this, please contact us.
Last updated: 2.48pm on Tuesday 18 February 2020