What we will do with your Personal Information
Telford & Wrekin Council Public Protection are collecting your personal data to enable public protection as required by statutory function under the Housing Act 2004 and regulations made thereunder.
Telford & Wrekin Council will not share any of your personal data collected with external organisations unless required to do so by law. However, there may be occasions where we request further information from key third party organisations including, but not limited to Shropshire Fire and Rescue, West Mercia Police or other similar regulators.
For further details on the Council’s privacy arrangements please view our privacy notice.
Please use our online form:
Documents you will need to submit
Applications for a mandatory licence must be submitted with the following attachments:
- Sketch floor plan of the premises - this must show the layout of the HMO, including the size of each room, provision of amenities, location of fire doors, automatic fire detection and emergency lighting units
- Landlords Gas Safety Record or Commissioning Certificate - if there is gas at the property, provide a copy of the current Landlords Gas Safety Record Inspection/Commissioning Certificate for all gas appliances at the premises. This must be dated within the last 12 months
- Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) - the fixed electrical installation must be tested at least every 5 years. Please provide a certificated dated within the last 5 years which is free of C1 and C2 coded items. Please note that this must be an EICR and any other electrical certificate will not be valid
- Automatic Fire Detection (AFD) test and inspection/commissioning certificates - the AFD at the property must be tested and inspected annually and the certificate that you provide must be dated within the last 12 months. If the installation has been installed within the last 12 months, then please provide a copy of this certificate
- Emergency lighting test and inspection/commissioning certificate - emergency lighting must be tested and inspected annually and the certificate provided must be dated within the last 12 months. If the installation has been newly installed within the last 12 months, the installation/commissioning certificate will suffice
- Tenancy Agreement - please provide a sample copy of the tenancy agreement that you intend to use for the occupants at the property. The tenancy agreement accurately reflect the terms upon which each tenant occupies the property
- Current buildings insurance policy - please provide a copy of the current insurance policy schedule for the property
- Basic Disclosure - please provide a copy of the basic disclosure for all proposed licence holders/managers of the HMO. The disclosure should NOT be older than 3 months from the time of submitting your application. You must apply for basic disclosure online
- Proof of identification and address – either a current photo card driving licence or passport along with proof of address, such as bank statement, utility statement, Council Tax bill addressed to you at your current address within the last 3 months.
Failure to provide a full and complete application with all above documents will cause a delay with processing the licence. If documents expire as a result of an incomplete application being received, you will be requested to provide up to date documents, for example; expiry of Basic Disclosure.
Please also refer to our Procedure and policy document, which supplements the licence application procedure.
These documents can be submitted electronically as long as the text is legible or they can be sent to Environmental Health by post. If sent by post, your application will not be complete until all the required attachments are satisfactorily received.
The appropriate licence fee must also be paid to complete the application. Cheques are made payable to Telford and Wrekin Council or you can make your payment by credit/debit card.
You must note that relevant persons are notified of the application for a Mandatory HMO licence, this includes joint owners of the property and mortgage companies. You must also notify them yourself of this application.
Last updated: 8.48am on Tuesday 14 May 2019