Rewards and benefits
As a council employee, you are entitled to a range of excellent terms and conditions, including:
- annual pay increments within your grade
- automatic membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme, one of the largest public sector pension schemes in the UK
- 23 days annual leave rising to 31 days with service and 8 bank holidays, plus an additional concessionary day
- enhanced sick pay scheme, maternity/adoption leave pay and maternity support leave, reimbursement of professional fees where membership is an essential requirement of the role
- reimbursement of eye tests and where appropriate, contribution towards spectacles
- Occupational Health Service available to advise on work related health issues
- access to a free and confidential employee counselling service
- salary sacrifice schemes including childcare vouchers, car lease scheme, health care schemes and safe and secure savings accounts
- access to local benefits and discounts on products and services, these include discounts on national attractions such a theme parks and discounted travel.
Good work life balance
We want our staff to have fulfilling lives outside of the workplace. Our supportive culture and well-being offer for staff helps this become reality. We have a flexible working policy which gives you options to define your working arrangements to best support your lifestyle within business requirements for example purchasing additional leave, taking longer periods of time off or simply managing when and how you work your hours.
All new employees will receive a structured induction that ensures they are able to understand the organisation and their role in it.
The induction process is about:
- helping employees settle into their new environment and their responsibilities
- engaging new employees in our Vision and Values, HR practices, health and safety rules and of course the job they are required to do
- however, it is more than skills and knowledge training' it is also about the basics that seasoned employees all take for granted: working patterns; where the photocopier is; routine for holiday booking and recording sickness; dress code etc.
Employees will be provided with opportunities to shadow and co-work as part of their induction where possible.
We want our employees to learn and develop in their role and feel that they are valued which is why we have a wide range of learning and development opportunities available including:
- access to face-to-face training courses, workshops and a diverse range of online learning courses through Ollie (our interactive learning management system) which contains a wealth of courses and learning resources for staff
- a programme of management and leadership programmes
- an internal coaching & mentoring scheme including access to West Midlands Employers Coaching & Mentoring Pool
- regular one-to-one discussions with your manager to discuss performance and development
- Annual Personal Professional Development (APPD) reviews to assess and rate achievements, agree future objectives for the coming twelve months as well as an opportunity to discuss your career aspirations and professional development. This also includes a discussion about your personal well-being with the development of a personal well-being plan.
Some courses are essential and these will be arranged in advance of your start date; many of these courses take place as e-learning modules, others may be face-to-face.
We want our employees to feel engaged and involved so realised that communication is key to this. We have a variety of communication methods for sharing key messages with our staff and all staff will receive regular briefings from their manager as well as information from:
- online staff and manager briefings
- team briefs
- monthly staff newsletter
- internal intranet.
Last updated: 01/11/2019 15:17