Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Welfare and financial support

Money icon

The Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust

The Armed Forces Covenant Fund Trust (the Trust) supports the Armed Forces Covenant by delivering funding programmes that create real change to Armed Forces communities across the UK. The Trust looks after the Armed Forces Covenant Fund, worth £10M each year.

The Armed Forces Covenant Fund has four broad funding themes now and in future years.

  1. Non-core healthcare services for veterans.
  2. Removing barriers to family life.
  3. Extra support, both in and after Service, for those that need help.
  4. Measures to integrate military and civilian communities and allow the Armed Forces community to participate as citizens.

All grants are offered through specific programmes. Each programme has an aim, which describes the change that they would like the funded projects to achieve. You can find out more about this in the programmes section

Guidance and information on the application process can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Support for armed forces, veterans and their families 

There are lots of organisations that provide further support to serving armed forces personnel, veterans and their families. 

Army Families Federation (AFF) - is independent of the army, and offers confidential advice on a range of welfare issues, including money matters and family life.

Army Welfare Service - provides help on a range of welfare issues, including deployment support for families, legal assistance, and a dedicated Forcesline for confidential advice and guidance.

Education Support Fund (ESF) - an Ministry of Defence (MOD) fund available to publicly-funded schools, academies, and free schools in the UK attended by service children whose parents are subject to exceptional mobility and/or deployment.

Naval Families Federation (NFF) - provides details of organisations and charities that can help with a range of welfare issues, including bereavement and disability needs.

Royal Navy Community and Support - provides information to help serving personnel facing bullying, harassment or stress and information for veterans transitioning into civilian life. 

SSAFA - provides information on social, family and financial issues to anyone that is currently serving or has ever served in the Army, Navy or Royal Air Force and their families.

Veterans UK - provides a range of services including advice helpline, a welfare service that will provide a dedicated caseworker to assist veterans and their families, and support to war pensioners and war widow(er)'s. 

The Royal British Legion - provides support to people who are serving or who have serviced in the armed forces, their dependents and carers. 

Local support

Telford & Wrekin Council can offer financial help and support, where they will be able to check eligibility for benefits, such as:

  • Housing Benefit;
  • Council Tax Support;
  • Free School Meals;
  • Blue Badge
  • Concessionary Travel;
  • Discretionary Housing Payment;
  • Emergency Welfare Assistance; and
  • Food Parcels. 

For more information, please view our benefits pages.

Other financial help

If you need financial help to meet the costs of essential items in an emergency, unforeseen event or exceptional pressures, then there are grants and other support that you may be eligible for. 

Short term advances: people who encounter a period of financial need whilst waiting for their first benefit payment or following a change of circumstances, can apply for an advance of funds that is then repaid over a short period of time. To apply for this fund, please visit the GOV.UK website, or contact Job Centre Plus on 0800 055 6688.

Budgeting loans/advances: can help claimants to meet essential expenses, such as needing to buy items like furniture, household equipment or the expenses of starting work. This loan is interest free and repaid out of benefits. To qualify, you have to be in receipt of benefits for at least six months, and meet other requirements set by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). To apply for this fund, please visit the GOV.UK website, or contact Job Centre Plus on 0800 055 6688. 

Credit Union Loan: Credit Unions are not-for-profit organisations who offer bank, savings accounts and low-interest loads for it's members. There are currently three credit unions operating in Telford and Wrekin. For more information, please visit Just Credit Union, Fairshare Credit Union or MWS Credit Union at Jubilee House, for residents of Madeley, Woodside and Sutton Hill. 

Sure Start Maternity Grant: is a one-off payment of £500, which is available to people who claim certain benefits to help towards the immediate costs of having a baby. People usually qualify if they have no other children, unless they are expecting a multiple birth. Claimants do not have to pay the grant back, and it does not affect other benefits or tax credits. To find out more, please visit the GOV.UK website, or call Job Centre Plus on 0800 055 6688. 

Funeral payments: for people who have a low income and need help to pay for a funeral. To qualify, you must:

  • receive a means-tested benefit or tax credit;
  • have had a family or close relationship with the deceased; and
  • apply for the payment within three months of the funeral. 

For more information, please visit the GOV.UK website or call their Bereavement Service Helpline on 0845 606 0265. 

Discretionary Housing Payment: available to anyone claiming Housing Benefit who needs help with a short fall in their rent. Find more information as well as an online application form in our Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) pages. 

For further information on Emergency Welfare Assistance within Telford and Wrekin, please visit the Emergency Welfare Assistance website.

Last updated: 29/06/2023 09:07