Discretionary housing payments and council tax reduction hardship

Discretionary housing payments (DHPs) are extra payments that we may be able to pay if your Housing Benefit or housing costs paid under Universal Credit doesn’t cover your full rent and you are struggling to afford to pay the difference.

A DHP cannot cover ineligible service charges - such as charges for heating, water or food; it also cannot cover Council Tax. However, if you receive Council Tax Reduction (formerly called Council Tax Support) and are struggling to afford the shortfall between this reduction and your Council Tax charge, we may be able to give you some short-term assistance through our Council Tax Hardship scheme, which you can apply for via the DHP application.

How to apply

View information about how to apply for DHP or speak to an adviser by calling 01952 383838.

Last updated: 04/11/2020 17:22