You can claim Funeral Expenses Payment if all of the following apply:
- you receive certain benefits or tax credits (Income Support, Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Universal Credit, the disability or the severe disability element of Working Tax Credit)
- you meet the rules on your relationship with the deceased
- you were the partner of the deceased when they died, or
- you were a close relative or close friend of the deceased, or
- you were the parent of a baby stillborn after 24 weeks of pregnancy, or
- you were the parent or person responsible for a deceased child who was under 16 (or under 20 and in approved education or training)
- you are arranging the funeral in the UK, the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
How to apply
Anyone requiring support with bereavement, should contact the Bereavement Service helpline on 0800 731 0469 or
- visit the GOV.UK website for information about funeral payments
- view more information on bereavement support.
Last updated: 04/11/2020 17:28