Struggling to pay your bills?


  • Citizens Advice
    Helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent advice. Visit the Citizens Advice website or speak to your local branch on 01952 567193.
  • Age UK
    Age Concern and Help the Aged have joined forces to become Age UK. They provide a wide range of information and advice. Visit the Age UK website
  • Money Advice Service
    An independent service set up by the Government to help people make the most of their money. They give free and unbiased money advice. Visit the Money Advise Service website.
  • Wrekin Housing Group customers can contact their Housing Executive for a referral into their advice and support services, or visit the Wrekin Housing Group website.

Check to see if you can increase your income

The following organisations can help you check whether you are in receipt of the benefits you are entitled to:

If you are at risk of eviction:

  • Housing Options Team
    Our Housing Options team can give you advice if you are facing eviction, homelessness or need general housing information. They can be contacted on 01952 381925, view more information about housing.
  • KiP
    A local charity, who work to address rough sleeping and the impact of homelessness. It is an appointment based service offering a facility to walk in and seek assistance for people presenting as homeless or rough sleeping in the Telford & Wrekin area.

    The team provides a range of services that includes finding accommodation, accessing emergency night-by-night accommodation, guidance and support around tenancy arrangements and helping to access a range of support services. Including advocacy, an address, so individuals can open bank accounts, address debt and secure forms of ID. Contact KiP 24 hours a day by telephone 01952 248248.
  • Shelter
    A charity that works to alleviate the distress caused by homelessness and bad housing. They give advice, information and advocacy to people in housing need. Visit the Shelter website.

Debt advice and saving money

If you are worried about debt, please contact one of the following organisations, who can give free and confidential advice:

  • Step Change
    Offer tailored advice and practical solutions to help people manage their debt and make a fresh start. They can be contacted on 0800 138 1111 (this is a freephone number, including from all mobiles). Visit the Step Change website
  • National Debt Line
    A helpline that provides free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems. They can be contacted on 0808 808 4000. Visit the National Debt Line website.
  • Wrekin Housing Group
    Customers can get regulated, impartial debt advice from Wrekin Debt Advice. Contact your Housing Executive, email Visit the Wrekin Housing Group website.

Remember – you don’t need to pay for debt advice, free expert help is available.

You may also wish to consider the following to help you save money.

Gas, electricity and water

If you are on certain benefits, your utility provider may be able to offer a discount. Each provider has their own criteria, so check their website or telephone them.

Check that you are not using more gas or electricity than you need to. For example, switch off any electrical equipment you are not using or see if you can turn down your heating thermostat.

Broadband and TV packages

If you are struggling financially, you may need to make a decision about whether you can afford any broadband or TV packages you have. Check to see if your current package offers the best value. Are there, for example, any channels you don’t use? You can compare the cost of TV packages.

Visit the Uswitch website

Your current supplier may also be willing to reduce the cost of your package, so you could try contacting them. You will need to check that if you cancel or reduce your package, you are not still in a contract period that may mean you are still charged for the original package.

Mobile telephones

Review your mobile telephone contract to ensure that you are on the best tariff for you. Are you in a contract where you are paying for minutes, texts or data that you don’t use? If you are struggling financially, you may need to consider reducing any non-essential usage. You also need to consider whether pay-as-you-go or a contract is best for you. You can compare mobile phone contracts, including SIM-only deals.

Visit the Uswitch website


If you are a pet owner, the PDSA may be able to offer free/reduced veterinary fees for pet owners who are on a low income.

Visit the PDSA website

Childcare help

View information about the Talking 2’s 15 hours of free childcare for 2 year olds

Leisure discounts

The health benefits of regular exercise and physical activity have been proven time again and are hard to ignore.

At Telford & Wrekin Council we are passionate about the health and wellbeing of our residents.

Our goal is to make swimming accessible for all. We offer free swimming for all Telford residents up to the age of 18. There is no limit to the amount of times you can benefit from this.

Swimming positively contributes to physical and mental wellbeing. The unique properties of water make swimming perfect for people of all ages to exercise.

To benefit from the free swimming the under 18 will need a Telford Loyalty card. These can be issued at any of our centres and are free of charge. Simply pop into one of our centres, you would just need to bring with you something that shows you are a Telford and Wrekin resident and that they are aged under 18.

Visit the Telford & Wrekin Leisure Services website for more information about other activities we offer

Last updated: 22/12/2020 11:13