Citizens Advice

Free online advice from Citizens Advice could help you find a way forward, whatever the problem. Their research enables them to campaign on issues that affect people’s lives.

Visit the national Citizens Advice website

Alternatively you can telephone your local branch on 01952 567193.

Universal Credit

Citizens Advice can assist you with claiming Universal Credit. Visit the Citizens Advice website for help to claim Universal Credit or phone 0800 1448 444.

Available five days per week at the Job Centre Plus in central Telford. Visit the Citizens Advice Telford and Wrekin website for available appointments.

Financial and debt services

They provide:

  • Money Advice Project
    Advice and information on all kinds of debt problems, including help with Debt Relief Orders and in-depth casework
  • Helping Hands in Hardship Project
    For people in financial crisis who are homeless, experiencing mental ill-health or are under 25 years old.
  • School Uniform Bank
    Available at various places around Telford. Contact Cllr Kelly Middleton by email or phone 07583 053081.
  • Food Parcels
    Citizens Advice work in partnership with Telford Crisis Support to provide food parcels. Phone 01952 567174 or visit the Citizens Advice Telford and Wrekin website for more information about food parcels.

Check to see if you can increase your income

Citizens Advice support people with full disability and welfare benefits checks, discretionary housing payments advice, grant applications and local and national financial support schemes in order to maximise individual and household income.

If you are at risk of eviction

If you are being evicted due to rent arrears, a relationship breakdown or because you asked for repairs, support is available from our advisers (including debt advice, and Legal Aid) to help you know your rights. 

Debt advice and saving money

We offer free, confidential, and impartial debt advice on all priority and non-priority debts including rent and mortgage arrears, council tax arrears and credit cards and doorstep lending. We are fully authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to undertake full debt and budgeting advice, Debt Relief Orders and Bankruptcy advice. 

Gas, electricity and water 

We provide free, confidential, and impartial advice on switching to cheaper tariffs, understanding and disputing bills, Warm Home Discounts and Winter Fuel Payments, and problems with pre-payment meters. A specialist Energy Advisor is available for general and more complex energy enquiries.  

We also support Severn Trent Water’s delivery of the Big Difference Scheme which helps local people on low income reduce their water bill, or access further financial assistance from the Severn Trent Trust fund. 

Problems at work 

We provide up to date free, confidential, and impartial employment advice on issues affecting your income such as furlough, redundancy, problems with allocated hours and pay and discrimination.  

We support full/part-time employees, agency workers, zero-hours workers and apprentices to understand their employment rights

An Employment Advisor team and/or Legal Advice is available for complex matters. 

We also support local employed/self-employed people to understand their entitlement to additional financial support. 

Last updated: 19/11/2020 09:57