The objective of all our travel assistance polices is to enable people to have more choice and control by accessing general travel services where possible.
The Council’s ambition for vulnerable adults, children and young people lie at the heart of their priorities, ‘the right support at the right time to support independence’. The Council’s current transport service is a traditional model that encourages dependency.
The Council has reviewed its travel assistance policies, with a focus on:
- explaining the statutory duties and what parents, carers and adults can expect from the service, and signposting for those not eligible for these services so that we offer "Something for everyone"
- encouraging independence, for example by expanding travel training
- solving problems and promoting social responsibility by offering a range of travel assistance options
- clearly explaining how decisions are made around eligibility for travel assistance
- being clear about the appeals process and for services the Council may charge for
- offering any available spare seats on school buses to those who are not eligible but who may benefit from them for a contribution.
The first phase of the two-stage consultation finished on Friday 15 November 2019.
This phase included travel assistance that affected Home to School Travel up to the age of 16 including travel assistance to attend specialist nursery provision.
The second phase of the consultation will include Post 16 educational travel assistance and Adult Social Care travel assistance.
Due to the implementation of the Pre-election Protocol for the General Election to be held on 12 December, the launch of the consultation related to Post 16 educational travel assistance and Adult Social Care travel assistance will be delayed until mid-December. To be kept informed sign up to our E-mail Newsletter.
We are seeking your views on how the proposed changes will impact on you, your family or organisation.
It is important to be clear that these proposals refer to transport assistance provided by the Council and not those provided by third parties such as schools or colleges.
Here are the proposed policies:
- Travel Assistance
- Post 16 Education Travel Assistance
- Adult Social Care Travel Assistance
- Spare Seat Offer
View more information on the proposed changes.
You can tell us your views by completing our questionnaire online.
If you would like the questionnaire in an alternative format or have questions about the consultation please email email@example.com or call us on 01952 384620.
Last updated: 10.37am on Monday 18 November 2019