Tell us about changes straight away. If you don't, you may end up paying the wrong amount of Council Tax.
Changes you must tell us about include:
- if you change your address
- if someone in your household dies
- if someone comes to stay with you for a period of time. This may affect any discounts that you are receiving on your Council Tax bill
- if someone moves out. If this means that you now live alone and are over 18 you may be entitled to a single person discount
- if you change your name due to marriage or divorce or the name on your account is incorrect
- if your children leave school
- if you go into care or into hospital for a long period, or are away from home providing care for someone else
This is not a full list. If you think a change may affect your Council Tax tell us anyway.
You can use our online service, My Council Tax, to apply for or cancel a Single Person discount, notify us of a change of address and set up a Direct Debit or change your current Direct Debit.
Failure to notify us of any changes
If you fail to notify us promptly of any information which may affect your entitlement to a discount, exemption or Council Tax Support without good reason it may result in a £70 penalty being added to your Council Tax bill.
Other penalties / sanctions may also be imposed in relation to Council Tax Support fraud.