The West Mercia Youth Offending Service works with young people aged 10 – 17 and their families. We have one simple aim which is to reduce offending by children and young people.
We may get involved if a young person:
- gets arrested by the police;
- is charged with a crime and has to go to court;*
- is convicted of a crime and is given a sentence.*
We work with:
- the Police and courts
- the national probation service
- the local Community Rehabilitation Company
- the prison service, young offender institutions, secure training centres and local authority secure units
- health, housing and children’s services
- schools and education authorities
- charities and the local community
- the victims of crime
If you are a young person who is required to work with the Youth Offending Service you will be allocated an Officer from our team. They will explain what is expected of you and support you in successfully completing this work.
*All young people are assessed in relation to their individual needs and risks. We take into account any other professionals who may be involved with the individual, e.g. professionals identified in an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).