Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance

Who can claim Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance

You can claim Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance if you pay rent to live in your home:

  • if you have a low income whether from benefits or low paid work, including if you are self-employed;
  • if you are moving from benefits into work
  • if you have savings of less than £16,000

Please note: if you have a partner we will include their income and savings as well when we work out any benefit entitlement

If you want help with your Council Tax too, you only need to make one claim. We will assess your housing benefit and Council Tax award at the same time.

How much am I entitled to?

The amount you will receive will depend on your circumstances. You can use our online calculator to give you an estimate. However, accurate entitlement can only be determined when a full application backed by the relevant documentation is submitted to the Council.

Local Housing Allowance rates

Weekly Monthly
Shared accommodation rate* £69.04 £299.17
1 bedroom rate £87.41 £378.78
2 bedroom rate £109.32 £473.72
3 bedroom rate £129.47 £561.04
4 bedroom rate £170.67 £739.57

Download the April 2015 LHA rates and view previous rates.

*Please note that the Shared Accommodation Rate now applies to most single people under 35 years of age regardless of whether or not they live in self contained accommodation. For exemptions please contact us. It also applies to single people over the age of 35 and living in shared accommodation.

When should I claim?

It is important that you make a claim for benefit as soon as you can. Please do not delay in contacting us to tell us you want to make an application.

Supporting documents

The documents that you give us to support your claim must be original documents. Photocopies and faxes are not acceptable. These documents will be returned to you once we have taken copies:

  • birth certificate
  • passport
  • driving licence showing your address
  • utility bill for your current address, for example; gas, water, electricity
  • benefit payment book or entitlement letter
  • National Insurance number card
  • rent book, rent card or tenancy agreement
  • bank or building society statement
  • medical card with NHS number
  • marriage or adoption certificate
  • membership card of a trade union
  • divorce, annulment, or separation document
  • life assurance policy
  • credit or debit card, cheque guarantee or other bank card (cannot be photocopied)
  • building industry sub-contractor's certificate

To make a Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance claim please contact our Benefits team.

  1. Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance
  2. Contact >

How do you rate this page?