Work to build the Council’s 4MW solar farm at Wheat Leasows was completed at the end of 2014 at which point it became fully functional and generating electricity.
It took less than 18 months between the initial plans being proposed and the construction being completed and the whole project was completed on time and within budget.
The solar farm is made up of more than 15,000 panels on a 11.7 hectares site and will generate enough electricity to power more than 800 homes.
Izen Energy systems were the appointed contractor for the development. They are a Belgium company who have a base in Staffordshire and have extensive experience of renewable energy projects.
The project forms part of the Council’s strategy to:
- become more environmentally and financially sustainable
- reduce our carbon footprint
- offset cuts in central government funding
- protect frontline services.
The following plans show different aspects of the solar farm site.
- Solar farm site plan
- Design layout plan
The plan shows the layout of the solar farm and location of key equipment and facilities including; solar panels, transformer housings, boundary fencing and site access.
- Public footpath diversion
A public footpath which previously went across the site has been diverted. The plan shows the location of the diverted public footpath.
- Landscape proposals
This plan shows what planting was agreed for the site, aimed at helping screen the development and protect wildlife habitats.
- Fact sheet.
- View the current performance levels* - the website is best viewed in Internet Explorer.
- Solar farm information sheet.
- Cabinet report - 19 September 2013.
- Cabinet report and appendix - 18 September 2014.
- Planning approval decision notice.
- Solar farm news - view the proposals and development news.
- Solar farm construction gallery.
*Please note that if the website can't connect to the solar farm it will not show any live data, when this occurs the connection will be restored within 48 hours.
If you have any questions or want to give your feedback or views then please contact the team using the details below:
Telford & Wrekin Council
Wellington Civic Offices
Telephone: 01952 380146