COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) information

Update 19 July 2021

Following the recent relaxation of COVID-19 restrictions by the Government, from Monday 19 July 2021 there is no longer a maximum cap for ceremony attendees set out in the law.

For ceremonies taking place in the Wrekin Suite at Telford & Wrekin Register Office, we can now return to offering our full, normal capacity of 60 guests.

Please email should you have any further queries and staff will endeavour to respond back within 5 working days. As soon as we receive further guidance, we will post an update on our COVID-19 page.

COVID-19 service updates

We are currently experiencing unprecedented demand as we work with couples to re-schedule weddings and civil partnerships that have been postponed because of the pandemic. We are therefore not currently taking any new wedding or civil partnership bookings for after 31 March 2022. If you are looking to book a date from 1 April 2022 onwards, please contact us after 1 October 2021, at which point we will be able to discuss your booking with you.

You can get married at any licenced, approved or registered building in England and Wales but the Notice of Marriage must be given in the district where you both live at least 30 days before the ceremony date. Please note: the Notice of Marriage can only be given by appointment.

Information for couples marrying at civil or religious premises after 4 May 2021 concerning the new Marriage Schedule system

Civil marriage ceremony

Your civil marriage can be conducted at our Register Office in Wellington, or at one of our approved, licenced venues.

If you are interested in using our Register Office, view our photo gallery - which shows our bespoke-designed ceremonies section with seating for up to 60 guests. You can also view a virtual tour of the Register Office, which is available Monday to Saturday.

Please also view a list of our approved venues to discover alternative locations within the borough at which our staff can attend to perform your ceremony. Ceremonies can be performed at our approved venues on any day of the week, including Sundays and Bank Holidays. Be mindful that if you have a ceremony at an approved, licenced venue, you must use a Civil Registrar from the Register Office to ensure that your ceremony is legal.

Throughout every step of your journey, we will offer you advice and guidance on how to make your special day a perfect and memorable occasion, personalised to your liking.

View details of ceremony costs from April 2020.

Once you have agreed your location of choice, please contact our office to check availability and for advice on what what to do next.

Religious marriage ceremony

For marriages at a Parish Church (Church of England/Church in Wales), the Vicar of the local Parish Church will help and advise you; the Church publishes the Banns. If you or your partner is a non-relevant national (meaning not a British citizen, Irish citizen, or granted or pending European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status), you will be required to bring along your Share Code for settled status under the EUSS or their certificate of application to prove your pre-settled or pending status. The Vicar will attend to all of the preliminaries to the marriage.

For non-Church of England churches or chapels, arrangements must be made with the local Minister/Priest. You will then need to contact us to arrange the Notice of Marriage.

The law is not as flexible with religious marriages. One of the parties to the marriage must have a residency in the area you choose to marry, or make a legal declaration that the religious building to be used is their usual place of worship. There are other sections of the legal acts that say you can marry outside of your residential area. Please contact us to see if you qualify.

View information about the ceremony fees for a religious marriage ceremony

Celebratory ceremony

Should you wish to have a ‘celebratory ceremony’ at a non-licenced location within Telford and Wrekin, our team of celebrants can assist you by completing a bespoke, non-legal, celebratory ceremony. Please contact us to discuss your options in more detail.

The Notice of Marriage

When you give Notice, you must bring documents to your appointment as proof of your name, age and nationality. 

If you do not bring the correct documents to your appointment, your Notice will not be taken. All documents must be originals - photocopies are not acceptable.

You need to bring least one document as proof of your name, age and nationality:

  • valid passport
    • If you do not have a valid passport and were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, you will need to bring a copy of your full birth certificate and the passport or full birth certificate of the parent you have gained nationality from.
  • birth certificate
  • certificate of registration
  • certificate of naturalisation
  • travel document
  • EEA or Swiss nationals will also be required to bring their Share Code for settled status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS), or their certificate of application for it to prove their pre-settled or pending status.

The registrar will also need to see at least one document with your address on it:

  • valid UK or EEA driving licence
  • gas, water or electricity bill dated within the last 3 months
  • bank or building society statement dated within the last 3 months
  • council tax bill dated within the last 12 months
  • mortgage statement dated within the last 12 months
  • current tenancy agreement
  • letter from your landlord confirming you live there, including your landlord’s name, address and their signature dated within the last 7 days.

If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before, you will also need to bring either:

  • a decree absolute or final order. If you have had a divorce granted outside of the British Isles, additional fees will apply for the divorce document to be verified. These fees are non-refundable and are payable at the Notice appointment
  • the death certificate of your former partner.

If you are a non-relevant national (meaning not a British citizen, Irish citizen or have been granted European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status), you will also need to bring:

  • a passport style photograph for each of you, even if only one of you is from outside the UK
  • proof of your current immigration status (for example your visa, ARC card)
  • a translation of any documents that are not in English.

If you or your partner is a non-relevant national and you do not have a visa or you are unable to make the appropriate immigration statement, the immigration authorities at the Home Office will be notified. A hard copy of a letter granting status is not evidence of rights in the UK.

There may be an additional fee of £12 per person that is payable at the appointment, and you may need to wait up to 70 days before getting married or forming a civil partnership.

If you do not speak and understand English, you must bring an interpreter to your appointment. If you are unable to bring an interpreter, please let us know this when you book.

Complete our online form to book your Notice of Marriage appointment online

New fees for considering overseas divorces

From the 1 November 2017, the Government has introduced new fees for the consideration of divorces, annulments and Civil Partnership Dissolutions obtained outside the British Isles. The following fees are non-refundable in the event of a document being turned down.

This table displays the fees for considering overseas divorces.
Category Fee
Consideration of a divorce or civil partnership dissolution obtained outside the British Isles by the Register Office £50
Consideration of a divorce or civil partnership dissolution obtained outside the British Isles by the Registrar General (General Register Office) £75

Please note most overseas divorces require referral to the Registrar General (General Register Office), and this process can take several weeks. Please ensure that you have an accurate third party translation of any document not written in English.

What will it cost?

View information about the ceremony fees for marriage ceremonies

How do I book the Registrar?

Contact us on 01952 382444 and ask the Superintendent Registrar to check their availability of dates for you.

You can pre-book your ceremony at least two years in advance by paying a non-refundable booking fee, giving you the assurance that staff will then be available on your special day.

Have your say

Our aim is to provide a quality service that is valued by its customers. We are proud of the service we provide and are committed to listening to our customers' views. Please help us to maintain high standards of service by spending a few moments completing our registrars customer satisfaction survey.

Last updated: 21/07/2021 12:52

  1. Introduction
  2. Marriage Schedules
  3. Contact