Planning restrictions in The Gorge World Heritage Site
The Article 4(2) Direction for the Ironbridge Gorge World Heritage Site has been in place since 1998. This Direction removes some permitted development rights for dwelling houses which means if you wish to carry out certain works to your property you will need to apply for planning permission. It does not mean applications will be refused but ensures proposals are of high quality and reflect the importance of the World Heritage Site.
The existing direction withdraws the right to carry out the following works where the development fronts a highway, waterway or open space:
- the alteration, addition, renewal or replacement of any windows (including roof lights and dormers) to any dwelling
- the alteration, addition, renewal or replacement of any external doors
- the erection, construction, improvement, alteration or replacement of a gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure of a dwelling
- the demolition or removal of the whole or part of any gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure of a dwelling
- any alteration to the roof of a dwelling
- the erection or construction of a porch outside any external door of a dwelling
- the provision within the curtilage of a dwelling house of a hard surface for any purpose.
This direction has now been amended and it also withdraws the following rights:
- the erection, construction, improvement, alteration or replacement of outbuildings of a dwelling
- the erection, construction, improvement, alteration or replacement of extensions of a dwelling
- the erection, alteration or removal of a chimney, flues, soil and vent pipes on a dwelling
- the installation of solar panels and micro generation facilities on or attached to a dwelling
- the installation of satellite dishes on a dwelling or within the curtilage of a dwelling.
The amended Article 4(2) Direction was confirmed on the 28 December 2012 and came into immediate effect.
We have produced a guide for residents of the Ironbridge Gorge World Heritage Site that provides information to help make informed choices and decisions when considering making changes to or carrying out works to both the dwelling house, and the land that surrounds the property.
As the Council receives a number of applications for replacement windows and doors within the Gorge, the Planning Authority has prepared guidance to assist residents.
This guidance should also be used for other heritage assets including conservation areas and listed buildings.
Last updated: 07/04/2022 16:38