The temporary government restrictions for holding public meetings and gatherings has now come to an end. However, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, capacity restrictions are in place within the meeting room. Priority for public access to the meeting room will be given to those who have registered to speak on an application to be considered at this meeting. If there are spaces remaining in the public gallery after the registered speakers have been seated, then these seats will be offered to the public on a first come, first served basis, however, capacity is limited. As such we would strongly recommend that interested members of the public watch the proceedings via the live stream on YouTube. Should there be more registered speakers than the capacity of the room allows, you will be provided with an estimated time slot for your application. Please wait outside of the venue until you are called in to speak. Registered speakers may need to leave the venue following their chance to speak to allow further speakers access to the venue.
The procedures as set out below still apply. Site visits are again being undertaken where required.
Planning Committee procedures
Your application may go to Planning Committee, a committee of members, if any of the following apply:
- a proposal that involves the Council as either applicant or landowner (or has a financial interest) and the proposal is a major application (residential – 10 or more units, development over 0.5ha or non residential – creation of 1,000m2 gross floor area/development over 1ha excluding reserved matters applications)
- if submitted by or on behalf of assistant director or above or an elected member
- if formally requested by the relevant ward member or relevant parish council
- if a departure from policy and officers are recommending approval
- if a S106 relating to new financial contributions/affordable housing provision
- the number and nature of representations from the public against officer recommendation is, in the opinion of the service delivery manager - Development Management and/or Area Planning Officer, sufficient to require that the application should be determined by Planning Committee.
About the Planning Committee
The Planning Committee comprises of:
- a chair
- a vice chair
- seven other borough councillors.
The Planning Committee meetings are held in public and they meet on a four week cycle, where public speaking allows for some representations to be made for a period of three minutes.
What happens if my application is going to be considered by the Planning Committee
Visit Planning Online to find out if your application is going to be considered by the Planning Committee you will not be automatically informed, it is your responsibility to check, you can also find out by speaking to a member of the Development Management team team on 01952 380380.
- An officer prepares a report and makes a recommendation to the committee, which is available five working days prior to the meeting.
- Further representations are permitted by members of the public up until 48 hours prior to the committee and these must be made by email to email@example.com and labelled ‘urgent for planning committee’, representations made after this time may not be reported.
- On occasions a site visit is conducted by the members of the committee. Whilst members of the public are permitted to attend the visit, no engagement or debate is allowed as this would prejudice the predetermination of the application.
How can I register my interest in speaking at the Planning Committee
If you wish to speak at the Planning Committee you need to register your interest to the Democratic Services team, no later than 5pm, two working days before the meeting:
Telephone: 01952 383205
By letter to:
Telford & Wrekin Council
Last updated: 18/08/2022 13:19