Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Local land charges

When buying a property or piece of land, your solicitor will submit a local land charges search which will show whether there are any legal restrictions affecting the land or property.

The council will investigate any restrictions and bring all the information together in the form of a local authority search. The information is collected from different council departments including planning and building control, environmental health and transportation.

There are three types of searches:

Form LLC1

This consists of a search of the Land Charges Register. It reveals if there are any outstanding charges such as financial ones where money is owed to the council when work has been carried out on the property or land.

Other charges include tree preservation orders, renovation grants, conservation and listed buildings, road agreements, conditional planning applications and enforcement notices.

Form Con29

This is a questionnaire which is completed by various council departments and consists of two parts. Part 1 contains standard questions revealing any road proposals or schemes, compulsory purchase orders, enforcement actions, building regulations or planning applications and formal/informal notices.

Part 2 contains optional enquiries such as noise abatement orders and pollution notices.

Most searches consist of both LLC1 and Con29 forms.

Personal search

Anyone can conduct a personal search. However, it is only a search of the local land charges register and does not include the majority of information contained in the Con29R and Con29O. 

Anyone wishing to obtain sight of/access to property information free of charge should contact the following departments to determine their procedures. 

Please contact us for further information.

Last updated: 26/04/2022 10:32

  1. Introduction
  2. How much will it cost?
  3. How do I request?
  4. Contact