Change in circumstances

Most new working age customers will need to claim Universal Credit for help with their rent from 14 November 2018. If you have a change of circumstances that ends your current Housing Benefit entitlement (for example, an increase in income) and you need to make a new claim in the future, you will usually have to make a claim for Universal Credit for help with your rent. View information about Housing Benefit eligibility.

For more information and to make a claim for Universal Credit, please visit the Universal Credit website.

Universal Credit will not cover Council Tax, so if you need help to pay Council Tax, you will need to start a claim for Council Tax Reduction.

  • Tell us the exact date the change happened.
  • Tell us exactly what the change was. Please give us as much information as you can - so we don’t have to get back in touch with you to ask more questions.
  • You must provide evidence at the same time as you notify us about the change - so please have this ready. If you don’t provide evidence, we won’t be able to update your claim.

Here are some examples of the evidence that you must provide:

Moving out of the area
Please provide details of your forwarding address.

Moving in the area
Details of your forwarding address and, if your new address is rented, proof of your new rent - for example, your tenancy agreement.

You will need to tell us how many rooms there are in the new property and, if you share the property with anyone else, how many rooms are just for you.

Room No. of rooms in the property No. of rooms for your sole use
Living Room    
Separate Toilet    
Other Room    

If your landlord has changed and you want Housing Benefit paid to them*, we need the landlord's bank sort code, account number and name on the account. (*Payment can only be made to landlords when the claimant satisfies certain criteria.)

Starting work
Contract of employment (showing hours of work and rate of pay) or first wage slip.

Finishing work
Please provide your last wage slip or P45.

Change in benefits
Details of the change and new award letter.

Someone has moved in
Name, date of birth, National Insurance number, nationality and previous address of this person - plus proof of their income and proof of any capital they have.

If more than one person has moved in, you will need to provide these details for each person.

If anyone who has moved in with you owns a property elsewhere, you must provide details of that property.

Someone has moved out
Please provide their forwarding address.

Change in income
Details of the change and proof of the new income, for example, award letters or wage slips.

Someone who lives with me has had income change
Details of the change and proof of the new income, for example, award letters or wage slips.

Rent has changed
A letter from your landlord confirming the new amount and the date of the change.

Savings have changed
Bank statement, share certificates, premium bonds.

Last updated: 17/03/2020 08:49

  1. Introduction
  2. What do you need to tell us?
  3. How do I report?
  4. Contact