Housing Benefit

Most working age customers will need to claim Universal Credit for help with their rent from 14 November 2018. View information about Housing Benefit eligibility.

For more information and to make a claim for Universal Credit, please visit the Universal Credit website.

Universal Credit will not cover Council Tax, so if you need help to pay Council Tax, you will need to start a claim for Council Tax Support.

You can claim Housing Benefit if you pay rent to live in your home and you have reached pensionable age (check your pensionable agefrom 15 May 2019, both members of a couple must have reached pensionable age*) or you are working age and fall in to one of the working age exceptions below (if you don’t, you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with your housing costs).

Housing Benefit entitlement is based on your household circumstances, income and savings/capital.

If you want help with your Council Tax too, you only need to make one claim. We will assess your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support award at the same time.

If you have savings/capital of £16,000 or more, you will not be entitled to any Housing Benefit, unless you are receiving Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.

If you have a partner, we will also include their income and savings when we work out any benefit entitlement.

If one member of the couple is of pensionable age and the claim is made on or before 13 August 2019, we may still be able to treat the claim as a pensionable age claim and pay Housing Benefit. This is because for pensionable age claims we are able to backdate for 3 months, as long as there is entitlement. We can also treat couples who are in receipt of Pension Credit as a pensionable age couple even if one member has yet to reach pensionable age.

Working age exceptions who can claim Housing Benefit

If you have not yet reached pensionable age, you can make a claim for Housing Benefit if:

  • you live in specified or supported exempt accommodation (where you have been placed in the accommodation due to an identifiable need for care, support or supervision and your landlord is a housing association, registered charity or voluntary organisation)
  • you live in temporary accommodation provided by Telford & Wrekin Council
  • you are entitled to a severe disability premium (or have been in the last month) within your claim to Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or income-based Jobseekers Allowance.

Last updated: 14/05/2019 08:53

  1. Introduction
  2. Eligibility
  3. How do I apply?
  4. Contact