Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

Whether you get an award will depend on a number of factors. We look at each application carefully and consider your individual circumstances.

You must be in receipt of Housing Benefit or Housing Costs through your Universal Credit award for us to be able to consider you for an award. We will look at whether you can afford the shortfall based on your income, essential expenditure and any immediate changes you can make. If you can, we will not be able to make an award. The amount of any award will be based on your circumstances. We may not pay the full shortfall.

If we can make an award, it will usually be for a short period whilst you seek solutions to your financial hardship. If we make an award, we will give you advice on how you can do this.

View information about help available to you if you are struggling to pay your rent

If you are still struggling to pay your rent after your DHP has ended, you may apply again. You will need to tell us what you have done to improve your financial hardship. Even if you are still unable to pay your rent, we cannot guarantee we will be able to pay another award. We only have a set amount of money from the Government each year to spend on DHPs in Telford and Wrekin. There is a high demand on the DHP fund due to Government welfare reforms. Longer awards may be made to people who live in properties that have been adapted for the disabled needs of a family member.

Last updated: 01/06/2022 18:24

  1. Introduction
  2. Eligibility
  3. How do I apply?
  4. Contact