Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Premises licence

Any of the following may apply for a premises licence:

  • anyone who carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates
  • a recognised club
  • a charity
  • a health service body
  • a person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital
  • a chief police officer of a force in England and Wales
  • anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative
  • a person from an educational institute
  • any other permitted person.

Applicants must not be under 18 years of age. 

Individuals applying for a premises licence for the sale of alcohol or late night refreshment must be entitled to work in the UK. An application made by an individual who does not have the right to work in the UK will be be rejected. This does not include applications which apply to regulated entertainment only. 

Visit the GOV.UK website to view acceptable right to work documents for the UK

Where an applicant's right to work in the UK is time-limited, a premises licence may be issued for an indefinite period but the licence will become invalid when the right to work expires.

Where there is sufficient evidence that the applicant is not resident in the UK there is no requirement that the applicant have an entitlement to work in the UK.

Last updated: 22/03/2021 13:09

  1. Introduction
  2. Eligibility
  3. How do I apply or amend my licence?
  4. Contact