Worried about money?

There’s lots we can do to help. Find out what support is on offer.

Make a complaint and the complaints process

Complete our online form to make a complaint

If you would like to discuss a previous complaint or have a general enquiry, please contact the team using the details below.

Customer Relationship team

Telford & Wrekin Council
Darby House
Lawn Central

Email: customer.relationship@telford.gov.uk
Phone: 01952 382006

Last updated: 23/08/2023 17:58

  1. Introduction
  2. Contact