What is a childminder?
As a childminder you are self-employed and seen as a professional looking after children aged from 0 to 16 years. You work in your own home and implement the safeguarding and welfare requirements for the Early Years Foundation Stage. Childminders are registered and inspected by Ofsted the governing body.
Childminders may also offer, respite care, support for teenage parents, short breaks for disabled children, mentoring for prospective childminders and some even work in partnership with other childminders.
As a registered childminder you may also be able to access Government funding to provide childcare for some 2, 3 and 4 year olds.
What is a Network Childminder?
Childminders who are members of the 'Talking Childminders Network' have to work to additional criteria and be able to demonstrate the quality improvement principles:
- the professional childminder
- leadership and management
- quality learning and teaching
- safeguarding and welfare
- excellent outcomes for children.
What service does the Council provide?
The childminding service within Telford & Wrekin Council offers advice and support to existing childminders ensuring the service they provide is of high quality. We support with training, preparation for Ofsted inspections and ensure childminders link with local support.
In addition they offer briefing sessions to people wishing to become childminders and support them through the registration process. This involves completing home safety checks, advice on relevant training for example: first aid for children, and safeguarding. They hold briefing sessions a year and each session lasts approximate 2.5 hours.
The next childminding briefing sessions are:
|Will be arrange directly with prospective childminder
|To be confirmed
|Virtual meeting using microsoft teams or zoom
Starting a childcare business is not just a matter of child's play! As with any business, there are a number of regulations which you will have to meet before you can open your doors to children.
- Visit the Pacey website for information about becoming a childminder.
- Visit the Pacey website for support and guidance on making the most of your childminder business.
The Network aims to make sure that the standard of childcare you offer is consistently of the highest quality and is reviewed regularly.
HMRC free online educational support for Childminders
- Visit the GOV.UK website to register for live webinars for childminders.
- Visit the HMRC website for advice on tax for childminders.
- Visit the HMRC website for advice on business expenses for the self-employed.
- Visit the GOV.UK website to use the ready reckoner to help you budget for your self assessment tax bill if you're self-employed.
Any queries regarding this support please contact 03000 529670.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
View our FAQs, they may help you decide if childminding is for you!
- View our FAQ on how do I become registered?
- View our FAQ on what training do I need?
- View our FAQ on will I need to have a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check?
- View our FAQ on is it expensive to get started?
- View our FAQ on how much will I earn?
- View our FAQ on how many children can I have?
- View our FAQ on how often will Ofsted inspect me?
Last updated: 05/01/2024 14:02