If you’re struggling with your application, don’t worry! We hope some of our tips and tricks below will help you on your way to writing a great application.
I’m not sure if I’m eligible
You can apply to the grant if:
- you are aged 15 (and in Year 11) to 25 years old and live in Telford and Wrekin
- you are aged 15 (and in Year 11) to 25 years old and are a Telford and Wrekin Child in Care / Care Leaver who no longer lives in Telford and Wrekin.
You can’t apply to the grant if you are outside of the ages above.
You can’t apply to the grant if you successfully received money from the Leader and Cabinet Member’s Young Person Grant scheme in 2021 or 2022.
I don’t know how much money to apply for
The maximum amount you can apply for is £500. However, if you can be specific about what you might need the money for, the means we can provide even more young people with the help they need.
For example, if you are looking to apply for a Railcard, you might apply for £70 to cover a 3 year subscription with a 16 - 25 year old discount card.
If you are looking for a new laptop for your studies, find the one you would like online before you apply and include the price of that item. Feel free to include the link to the item in your supporting documents to help us find what you are looking for!
I’m not sure what to talk about in my application
We want to hear about why you are passionate about achieving your goals so we can help you to succeed.
If you’re not sure what to talk about, use the guide below to help you get started:
- Your aspirations and plans for the future and what access to training and development you might need to achieve these goals.
- Challenges you might have had with travelling to and from your place of education, employment and training, and how a bus pass, bike, or railcard might help.
- Describe equipment you need to reach your goals and why you have found it challenging to source this yourself- for example a laptop for a virtual course, equipment for degree research, interview clothing.
- If you have a business idea and need some funding to kick-start this, pitch us the business!
- The past few years have been truly challenging for all; can you describe ways in which you have overcome any difficulties and how further funding would help you excel?
Who can be my referee?
A referee must be someone impartial but knows you well enough to support your need for funding from the grant. This could be a teacher from school or college, a mentor, social worker or colleague at work.
A referee cannot be a family member or friend.
A family member referee may only be accepted if you currently work with them in a professional capacity.
What supporting documents should I include?
Anything you think would make your application stand out! This could be a certificate of your training, a plan for your business, or an example of your creativity. It could also be a document with a link to the product you would like to use the funding to purchase or some additional information about why the funding would help you.
This is not a required part of the application so don’t worry if you don’t have anything to add. It’s simply a space for you to give us any extra information if you want to!
What does it mean by supporting communications and attending promotional events in the terms and conditions?
If you are successful in your application to the Leader and Cabinet Members’ Young Person Grant, our Communications team would love to chat to you to inspire other applicants in the future. A member of the team will contact you via email to arrange an informal chat to talk about your experience and to take some photos or even film a video. You can see examples of our previous recipients.
When the awards event is confirmed, the Communications team will also be there to take photos and talk to you. Please say hello if you see them!
The Leader and Cabinet Members’ Young Person Grant event takes places to celebrate the success of the recipients across the borough and award them their money / item(s).
The event date will be confirmed once the young people are contacted to be told of their success. In 2023, we hope that this event can be once again held in person, with a view to any guidance at the time. The young person will receive the money / item(s) from the grant at the event.
Should the event be cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, the young person will be contacted to provide their money / item(s) in an alternative manner.
I want to apply for funding for something outside of education, employment and training – can you help?
If you would like to speak to someone about your application to the Leader and Cabinet Members’ Young Person Grant, you can email email@example.com or call us on 01952 383220.
Last updated: 08/11/2022 09:03