Council Tax Reduction Hardship Assistance

Whether you get an award will depend on a number of factors. We look at each application carefully and consider your individual circumstances.

You must be in receipt of Council Tax Reduction or, from 1 April 2022, either Council Tax Reduction or Universal Credit for us to be able to consider you for an award. We will look at whether you can afford the shortfall based on your income, essential expenditure and any immediate changes you can make. If you can, we will not be able to make an award. The amount of any award will be based on your circumstances. We may not pay the full shortfall.

If we can make an award, it will usually be for a short period whilst you seek solutions to your financial hardship. If we make an award, we will give you advice on how you can do this.

View information on what you can do if you are struggling to pay your Council Tax

If you are still struggling to pay your Council Tax after your Council Tax Reduction Hardship Assistance has ended, you may apply again. You will need to tell us what you have done to improve your financial hardship. Even if you are still unable to pay your Council Tax, we cannot guarantee we will be able to pay another award.

Last updated: 01/06/2022 17:40

  1. Introduction
  2. Eligibility
  3. How do I apply?
  4. Contact