Online payment and Automated Telephone Payment (ATP) services - planned maintenance

Our online payments and ATP services will be unavailable from 8am to 4pm on Sunday 14 April 2024, due to essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Benefit and Council Tax fraud

Any allegations of Housing Benefit fraud alone must be reported to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) as they have the jurisdiction to investigate this benefit.

Telford & Wrekin Council can investigate fraud relating to council tax reduction (also known as council tax support), council tax discounts and emptions (such as single person discount) and council tax liability.

If you wish to report fraud relating to any of these areas then please tell us as much information as possible. We need to know the person being reported and their address. You also need to tell us what fraud you think they are committing and the details. For example:

  • if the person hasn't reported that they are working, please tell us where they are working and how they get there
  • if they haven't declared a person that is living with them, please tell us who the person is, their relationship to the claimant, where they work, what they look like, if they have a car, etc.

Please also tell us how long you think they have been committing fraud. You cannot assume that others will notify us on your behalf.

Report suspected housing benefit fraud

Visit the GOV.UK website to report suspected housing benefit fraud

Alternatively, call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440. Phone lines are open between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Report suspected council tax reduction or council tax fraud

Complete our online form to report suspected council tax reduction or council tax fraud

You can also report fraud to us using the following alternative methods:

Telephone: 01952 383839 (there is an answering machine outside of office hours)
By letter: if you choose this method, please address your letter to:

Investigations team
Telford & Wrekin Council
Darby House
Lawn Central
TF3 4JA.

Last updated: 01/06/2022 17:44

  1. Introduction
  2. How do I report?
  3. Contact