Telford & Wrekin Libraries offer a Home Library Service for customers who are unable to visit the library due to old age or disability, including carers. In addition to regularly delivering and returning library materials, volunteers are encouraged to talk to customers about their reading and liaise with library staff about what the customer would like next time.
Due to the nature of delivering books to people's homes, volunteers must be over 18 years of age.
Where and when
This role takes place at various libraries, as appropriate and the frequency is negotiable, usually 3 - 4 hours every two, three or four weeks.
The role of the Home Library Service Volunteer would be to take library materials to people in their own homes, sheltered accommodation or residential homes as appropriate on a regular basis. Volunteers are also encouraged to talk to customers about their reading and liaise with library staff about what the customer would like next time.
Skills and experience
Home Library Service Volunteers will need to be:
- patient and good at listening
- enjoy meeting new people
- good communications skills
- use of a car is helpful but not essential
- some low level lifting is required but basic training will be provided.
Tasks and responsibilities
- To work alongside library staff and other volunteers, taking library materials to people in their own homes, sheltered accommodation or residential homes as appropriate on a regular basis.
- To liaise with library staff or other volunteers to communicate customers’ comments and requests.
- To talk with customers about their reading and listening needs.
- To take responsibility for your own safety and to conform with Health and Safety Guidelines in a library setting.
- To report any concern to the Volunteer Co-ordinator, or your supervisor.
- To take part in any relevant training delivered by Telford & Wrekin Libraries.
- To adhere to the Volunteer Guidelines, and Volunteer Policy.
- To comply with the Quality Standards of Telford & Wrekin Libraries.
- To comply with, and implement, Telford and Wrekin Council’s Equal opportunities policy and procedure, together with all other agreed policies and procedures of the council.
Last updated: 07/09/2020 13:46