Bookstart is a national programme that encourages parents and carers to enjoy books with their children from as early an age as possible.
The Bookstart Toddler and Pre-schooler pilots aim to provide more target families with the tools and information that they need to support and excite children about sharing stories together.
Please note: All Bookstart packs are delivered through nursery settings.
Bookstart Toddler Packs (1 - 2 years)
All Toddler packs contain:
- The book Look at Me!, plus either Where are the Yellow Chicks, Spot? or Roar! Roar! I'm a Dinosaur!
- A finger puppet - use it to tell the story - try pretending the puppet is one of the characters - or just use it to get your child talking.
- Look at Me! - stick your fingers through the holes so they look like the character's legs.
- If you got Where are the Yellow Chick, Spot? - see if your child can lift the flaps and find the chicks.
- If you got Roar! Roar! I'm a Dinosaur! - make the dinosaurs dance by pulling the tabs. Why not make dinosaur noises too, and see if your child can copy you?
- If you fancy a rhyme, try out the ideas on the back of your pack.
Bookstart Pre-schooler Packs (3 - 4 years)
All Pre-schooler packs contain:
- A Roarsome Reader headband to colour in with a pack of crayons. They can then wear it to become a Roarsome Reader when you share stories together.
- The book Follow the trail: Minibeasts - encourage your child to explore the differently textures trails in this book and use the peepholes to give them a hint of the next minibeast.
- One Banana, Two Bananas - see if your child can count along, or cound along with them.
- Try the Spot the Pairs activity on the back of the pack - can you find them in your minibeast book?
Booktouch Baby (0 - 2 years) and Booktouch Toddler (3 - 5 years)
A free pack of books and guidance materials that aims to give a love of books to blind and partially sighted children.
Bookshine Baby (0 - 2 years) and Bookshine Toddler (3 - 5 years)
A free pack of books and guidance materials aiming to encourage a love of books in deaf children.
Bookstart Star (3 - 5 years)
A free pack of books for children with conditions affecting their fine motor skills.
Last updated: 21/09/2022 14:48